As Thanksgiving approaches, I’m taking an inventory of my life to see what I’ve accomplished this year. I’m grateful for my accomplishments. I create lofty goals for myself at the beginning of each year and take time to reflect upon the things I’ve done and celebrate those. This is what excites me and turns me on.
Here’s the list of my accomplishments:
- I launched my Nutrition Geek Detox and enrolled over 30 people in it this year alone.
- I raised my private coaching rates and reduced the number of individual clients that I work with by half.
- I discovered that my mission is to see people develop unshakable connections with their bodies and get so smart about food, nutrition, and their senses that they no longer have to look outside themselves to things like pills.
- I directed, scripted, and developed the curriculum for my most awesome training series – Fermentation Mastery – and had this professionally filmed and edited. I created a virtual training program where I sent out Fermentation Kits to all the participants. It was AWESOME!
- My health is INCREDIBLE and better than it’s ever been in my entire life. I feel energetic almost every day and I know how to schedule in down time to keep my battery charged. I’m realistic about what I can take on and what I need daily in order to stay majorly on top of my game. My digestion is superb, my allergies and chemical sensitivities are gone. My weight is stable and I don’t walk around feeling hungry or deprived. I exercise regularly without struggling to get to the gym. In fact, I jump out of bed just to get there on time. I eat incredibly healthy most of the time, but I enjoy eating out and eating baked goods, too. And I don’t finish the whole pint of ice cream in one night anymore. In fact, it takes at least two and sometimes 3 or 4 sittings to finish the pint.
- I spearheaded the OlyKraut fundraising campaign that is still going strong – and got an amazing filmmaker to create a beautiful short movie that shows how we bust out hundreds of gallons of sauerkraut every month.
- I have been asked by one of the largest chain of grocery stores in the Pacific Northwest to supply them with raw-unpasteurized OlyKraut.
- I was asked to speak on stage in San Diego and Philadelphia this year with Holistic MBA, my mentors who continue to inspire and stretch me.
- I was courted and seduced to contribute four of my fermented foods recipes in Kevin Gianni’s newest book, “Cultured: How to Make Fermented Foods at Home” with Donna Gates and other amazing superstars.
- I was asked to become a contributing faculty at a Healing Institute (I haven’t decided, yet.)
- I quit my day job and became a full-time entrepreneur fully supporting herself financially. WooHoo!
Wow, that sorta felt like bragging. I guess it is a little of that. But really, this is a celebration. I’m using this moment to feel full gratitude and nothing else for these successes!!! Through and through. Breathe in joy. Exhale relief. Inhale gratitude. Exhale tension. Inhale safety. Exhale fear.
These are the goals I set for myself. And here they are. I’ve reached them.
Hint: If you never take the time to appreciate where you are and where you’ve come from, you’ll never get the satisfaction of ‘getting there’. Why? Because you decide where ‘there’ is.
In full disclosure, these things weren’t all peaches and cream every step of the way. I could tell you a list of things that went wrong that would probably be longer than this list. ??But that’s not what it’s about. ??It’s the time to acknowledge how far I’ve come.
And I got here because I made some BIG ASS GOALS for myself. I actually wrote them down. I saw visions of myself in the future making a difference in people’s lives and creating the world around me that I want to live in. I recommend you take the time to do this.
Because everyone has big dreams and goals.
But why do some people reach theirs and others do not?
Because those of us who do reach them have a ‘why’. We have figured out what the Big Why in the Sky is. ??Even 5 years ago, I was still getting my final certifications in Integrative Nutrition from Columbia and IIN.
And I was still sick. I was working out my digestive struggles. I was trying desperately to get rid of environmental allergies that plagued me every Spring. I was searching for answers, anything, that would give me momentary relief of the heartburn, chemical sensitivity, clogged liver, bad skin, persistent post nasal drip, and either diarrhea or constipation every day.
My Big Why in the Sky was to get my health into an impeccable state so I could help heal others without feeling like a fake or a phony. I wanted to have full integrity in my health coaching practice and this motivated me to make big goals for my health, life and business.
But then there was a giant leap forward. Everything totally fell into place once I figured out the right way to heal my digestion. And with all of these pieces in place, things shifted nearly overnight for me.
That has completely opened up a new world for me. And so has teaching this strategy.
Now, I can function at a high level and no longer have to use my poor health as an excuse for not being able to get things done.
Now let me tell you what happened next.
I had no more excuses. And this was VERY uncomfortable. I had nothing in the way of reaching my goals anymore – and I was terrified!
So this is how I dealt with it.
I had to work everyday through feelings of fear, that I almost shut myself down. I had to take cold showers in the middle of the day and exercise to keep myself breathing. I kept holding my breath because I was so scared. Scared of getting what I wanted!
Sounds kinda crazy, I know, but this story is not uncommon. In fact, my teacher, Debbie Ford, when she became a best selling author and reached a place of great success, reached the most depressing time in her life. ??Now don’t get me wrong. I’m not depressed or anything like that, but I’ve had to move through a lot of terror this year in order to reach my goals.
But the game-changer was when I realized that I needed a new BIG WHY. I had fulfilled my health goals and needed to make a bigger impact.
So after some soul searching and lots of listening, I came up with a few big beliefs.
1. The healers are going to heal the world.
Every individual is infinitely powerful. Each of us has so much potential as healers and creators. Like the tiny mosquito, one person can make an incredible difference. I could go on and on about this, but here it is in a nutshell: Our people need leaders that can take them through this next transition of society and the environment. It is going to take the most intuitive, creative and articulate people to guide us through this giant global transition.
2. Personal healing is the ultimate path to tapping into personal power.
Health concerns are one of the biggest limiting factors when it comes to individual power. There are so many people who WANT to make a big difference, but they are still dealing with REAL EXCUSES like their health, money, and safety.
By facing these real excuses and handling them, there is nothing left but action, change and leadership.
3. My business is all about helping people heal themselves so they can heal our society and create meaningful lives for everyone.
And ultimately this means people fully reclaiming their senses, trusting their inner guidance, learning to follow their intuition and trusting their own ideas.
My mission is to see people develop unshakable connections with their bodies and get so smart about food, nutrition, and their senses that they no longer have to look outside themselves to things like pills. I’d like to see people realize that there is nothing actually wrong or broken with them and that their innate healing power is a skill that they must develop and nurture until it becomes so strong that something amazing happens.
?YOU’VE GOTTA GET CLEAR ON YOUR BIG WHY
It would be beneficial to write down some of your Big Why’s right now if you’d like. Even a couple years ago, all I wanted to do was be healthy and live a simple life. Yoga every morning, lots of self-care, great food, I dreamt of a personal chef and many other extravagant ideas.
But once I healed my body, I didn’t want to spend all that energy trying to be healthy. I was already there. Surprisingly, once my focus was off my own health, it shifted to the big picture. I take incredible care of myself, but it is so easy now, it doesn’t take much time at all.
WHAT’S YOUR MISSION?
If you’re dealing with health concerns, then you’re mission is probably a lot like mine was: lots of self-care and just trying to get it gone.
That’s totally fine. You are where you are at.
And this is what I help people do. Through my Fermentation Mastery program, I go through the entire details to re-establishing the proper flora, healing the intestines, boosting immunity and ultimately developing a strong connection to the body. I have the whole thing laid out and it works like a charm.
In fact, I'm gearing up for Fermentation Mastery right now.
But once, you move through your last health concerns and develop an unshakable connection with your body, your Big Why should shift, too.
You’re mission might be “helping people get rid of Candida and restore proper digestion” or “helping people detox so they can fully live their lives” or “helping women grow healthy babies” or “healing from chemical sensitivity or food sensitivities.”
Whatever your mission is…can change. And it probably will.
WHAT THIS MEANS FOR YOU
It's time to clarify your mission and your Big Why. I recommend taking the time to open up and ask yourself what are the crazy things? the huge things? the big lofty goals and dreams that feel or seem impossible. Those are the ones I want you to write down. If you can take 2 minutes right now to jot down a couple, go for it. If not, I'll help you do it in one of my programs.
What a journey! Thanks for reading all of this. This is the ever-developing version of what I’ve got and it’s always changing. Don’t worry, I’ll keep you updated.
I just put myself out there and revealed the things that I rarely talk about with people. Some of you probably totally disagree with what I’m saying and others are probably resonating with it.
I want to ask you a favor — will you please comment in the box below and let me know what your reaction is to what I’ve had to say here. Do you agree? Do you disagree? Do you have other ideas? Do you want me to stick to talking about fermentation and gut rebuilding instead of this stuff? Let me know. ??Thanks a million!